Native plants are often overlooked in home gardening. Incorporating them into your landscape could mean less work to keep your yard looking spectacular, plus you’ll simultaneously support the local environment and wildlife.
Native plants are well-adapted to their local surroundings, resulting in numerous benefits.
- Natives are resilient! They tolerate and resist local diseases, pests, and lack of water.
- Their long roots systems help to protect the surrounding soil.
- Native plants help protect water quality in the community by controlling soil erosion.
- Fewer fertilizers and pesticides are required to keep natives healthy.
- Since native plants are drought tolerant, they help conserve valuable water.
- Thanks to their durability, native plants live longer and can withstand the harsh weather conditions of southeast Texas.
- Natives provide food and shelter for local wildlife, including birds and butterflies.
- Planting natives preserves the natural heritage of Texas to share with future generations.
- Conservation of local plants could lead to more medicinal discoveries.
- Last, but not least, native plants are beautiful!
Warren’s Southern Gardens currently has an excellent selection of native plants! Consider adding some of the natives listed below to your landscape.
Current Selection of Native Plants
- Bur Oak
- Drummond Red Maple
- Pink Muhly Grass
- Pride of Barbados (pictured)
- Rudbeckia Goldstrum
- Salvia Greggii
- Texas Rock Rose
- Texas Star Hibiscus
- Turks Cap
- Yaupon Holly
To learn more about growing native plants, stop by the Garden Center to visit with our expert staff. Warren’s Southern Gardens will get you growing!